$730m northern roads upgrade plan
The investment is expected to seal or upgrade about 700km of road, the equivalent of building a new road from the Gold Coast to Rockhampton.
The investments will concentrate on strategic corridors including:
- Townsville to Tennant Creek – $200 million;
- Yeppoon to Mount Isa – $190 million;
- Cooktown to Weipa – $190 million;
- Townsville to Roma – $100 million; and
- Cairns to the Northern Territory border (Savannah Way) – $50 million
Minister for Resources and Northern Australia Matt Canavan said the investments would help North Queensland recover and rebuild from the devastating floods they recently experienced.
“Roads are the arteries of lifeblood for these communities and better roads will get their communities pumping again,” Senator Canavan said.